Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Crockpot Bread I Said!


My favorite season is finally upon us after a brutal summer here in Chicago. The leaves are changing color, cool weather surrounds us, my wardrobe now consists of sweatshirts, I get to spend time in the kitchen making our favorite fall foods and experimenting with new ones. I adore this season.

Today I wanted to make bread. Not only is the aroma of bread baking highly intoxicating, but nothing beats slicing into fresh bread you made yourself. Enjoying it with butter melting into each nook and cranny on a blustery cool day. I didn't want to do the standard way of making bread where you have to wait hours, let it rise, knead it, wait longer, rise, knead it, then finally get around to baking it. I looked around on Pinterest, found a few recipes then combined what I found to be the best of them all to make my own version.

I decided on an Artisan bread. Super simple. 
  • 6 Cups Flour
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
  •  3 1/3 Cup Cool Water
  • 2 1/2 Teaspoons Of Salt

All of the dry ingredients go into a bowl

Add the water and do some mixing


Should be wet and sticky, I then covered it with plastic and let it sit for an hour


Looked over and my son is being SO big! Sorry how can I not be sidetracked with this guy? Back to the bread.


I then oiled up the bottom and sides of my Crockpot

 
 I put the dough in, put the lid on and set it on the high setting


I let it go in there for 3 hours. I noticed the top wasn't browning so after the three hours I took it out and put in in the oven for 45 minutes on 375 degrees.



After 45 minutes we have a wonderful, crispy, bread!



As I tested it out, I realized I would have to share my first piece. After all, how could I say no to this face?





1 comment:

  1. Love the "as you go" pics. Glad it turned out! My loaves came out okay - somehow they seem a little dry? It's early in the season, I have time to perfect, lol.

    ReplyDelete